Pulling the motor

About a week ago, I was at a trackday getting some much needed practice in, when I noticed that the bike kept popping out of gear, and giving me false neutrals.  This was not the first time this has happened this year, but I thought maybe it could have been me, getting sloppy with the shifting.  It continued to happen that day, and had to make a choice, do I go to the WERA races at Grattan with a messed up transmission or do I pull the motor and have the problem looked at.  Well, I chose the latter.  Congrats to all the guys/gals that did make the races, some of you posted some very fast times.

Jason, a friend of mine, stopped by to assist with the work, so saturday morning, we set off to figure out why my bike wasnt working properly.  There are two parts to the system, the detent, and the actual transmission.  After talking it over with a few experts, we determined that we could look at the detent system without having to pull the motor, although one of those experts mentioned that rarely is there a detent problem on the “newer” R6.  So away we went, drain the oil, pull the oil pan, the clutch case, clutch plates, hub, basket, oil pump, water pump, finally we get to the detent system.  After some examination, there appeared to be no obvious signs of wear.  What we did notice was that it wasnt detenting properly.  Here is a pic of where the detent sits when it is in gear (it is supposed to sit in between the points, not on the point.   Not the best pic.photo 3

We also noticed that neutral is not where its supposed to be.  Drawing the conclusion that not only is it mis-aligned, but something is bent preventing it from detenting properly.  The only logical conclusion is the shift forks.  To access those, means pulling the motor, and opening up the case, as the transmission sits behind the crank shaft.  Out the motor comes.  Upon draining the rest of the oil out of the oil pan before reassembly, we found this…

photo 2photo(8)That’s probably not good.  It appears to be a hollow dowel pin, not sure where it came from, but from the looks, it traveled through something, most likely the transmission.  We get everything back together, and commence with pulling the motor.  This was a relatively simple process, and we had the motor out in no time.

photo 4photo 5Off to the mechanic the motor went saturday night.  At the time, I’m still waiting to hear what the problem was, and what it is going to cost to fix.  Hopefully in a few short days, I will have the motor back for re-installation, and will be able to make the races at Blackhawk Farms on August 16/17.

 


Comments are closed.